Monday, October 15, 2012

The Joys of a Public Lecture

Public lectures are a wonderful thing. Last night, Dr. John Fea was in my local area to speak about his book Was America Founded as a Christian Nation? at a church.  Despite discussing this book numerous times in his class on the American Revolution, I had never actually heard him speak about it extensively to a public or church audience, so I went. It was very excellent, but it was the Q & A that excited me the most! It was thrilling to see people so open to discussing a topic which normally carries much tension and division along with it. That is what civil dialogue is all about! I think everyone quickly realized that there is definitely no simple answer to the question of America as a Christian nation. Great questions were asked and the congregation was willing to try to look at the topic responsibly and in all of its' historical complexity. I definitely left feeling optimistic and energized!

On another note, I wish I could find more history-related public lectures to attend in the Lancaster area. Perhaps they exist and I just don't know about them. I'll have to do some asking-around - especially at the historical society where I am interning!

1 comment:

  1. It was good to see you, Amanda. Keep blogging! I look forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete