Thursday, October 25, 2012

Another Week at LancasterHistory.org

This week was an interesting one at LancasterHistory.org. Aside from the fact that I really enjoy the people I work with and I'll be sad when it's time to go at the end of the semester, I learned quite a lot!

On Tuesday, Barry gave me a list of research requests. Since I absolutely love researching, I had a blast! Whatever I end up doing in the future, it must include this sort of scavenger hunt fun. (My major in history certainly prepared me well for this!) I looked up a couple of bios for some Lancaster men, learned a little about Lancastrian Sarah Ann Stauffer (photos and archival material) and her service to the Red Cross in Europe during World War Two, and wrote a short 500 word summary of Ephrata Cloister, the German monastic religious community established by Conrad Beissel.

I also quickly looked up the photograph of my grandma and aunt. It was taken in 1967 at the Adam Lefever family reunion and was donated by Jacob Dagen. I'm sure this means more to them than to me, so I'll have to pass the information along! They'll be glad to know they are preserved for posterity.

Today, Thursday, I was given a box of prints to catalogue. It's work that needs to be done in a historical society, but it really didn't thrill me at all. Apparently some people are surprised to find that they love creating inventories. I certainly wasn't one of them. Barry also tried to briefly explain the differences between kinds of prints to me, including etchings, engravings, block prints, lithographs, etc. It didn't exactly click very well and I found myself struggling to tell the difference, so I think I'll need a re-explanation next time. Otherwise, it was an informative and enlightening week at my internship! I'm looking forward to next week.

1 comment:

  1. I remember visiting the Ephrata Cloisters in 1977 when I lived in New Jersey. Little did I know then I would end up living an hour away! Thanks for reminding me of this pleasant vacation.

    ReplyDelete