Saturday, November 3, 2012

Brainstorming at the Historical Society

I did not go to my internship on Tuesday since there was a hurricane outside. No big surprise there! I did go on Thursday, though, and had a wonderful day. Since the cataloguing objects project was not exactly my cup of tea, Barry gave me a new project to work on. When the historical society moves back into the updated building, it will have a small hallway with a magnetic wall titled "County, Commonwealth, Country." I don't want to reveal too much, but it was my job this week to contribute to filling in ideas and events that bridge the gap between Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and the United States. The first obvious example that comes to mind is James Buchanan. His home, Wheatland, is located in Lancaster County. He was (and still is) the first person from Pennsylvania to become President of the United States. Another example involves the Civil War and Lancaster County. I didn't know this, but because the people of Columbia prevented the Confederates from entering Lancaster County by burning the Columbia-Wrightsville bridge, the Confederates turned around and headed toward Gettysburg. I had no idea that Lancaster was so important in the chain of events that led to the Battle of Gettysburg! So basically, I spent my day brainstorming ideas and trying to think outside of the box for these three categories of the magnetic timeline wall. I had so much fun doing it, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment